So we know that being slumped over a desk all day is not good for our posture and can cause tension in the neck and upper back, if you’ve ever had a sports massage from Billie here at the resort you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about, she can find those spots in a flash!
But it is what it is right, you work at a desk and there is nothing you can do about it, you have to suffer the pain until the next massage. No it’s not the case, I’m here yet again with some simple tips on how to stretch at your desk to ease pain, increase energy and improve circulation.
- Shoulder stretch: Take the right arm across the front of the body, take the left arm under the right and gently pull in closer to stretch out the right shoulder. Repeat on the left side. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, take a deep breath in as you breathe out gently try and increase the stretch for another 30 seconds.
- Scapula retraction: Sit with both feet flat on the floor and place your hands on your hips. Set your shoulder blades back and down and squeeze together hold for about 15 seconds, relax and repeat.
- Chest stretch: Sitting or standing place both hands on the small of your back and stretch the chest forward, aim to get your elbows as close together as you can! Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, take a deep breath in as you breathe out gently try and increase the stretch for another 30 seconds.
- Chin Tuck: Sit with both feet flat on the floor and place your arms at your sides. Face straight ahead and gently lower your chin to your chest, hold for 30 seconds then relax slowly to the starting position and repeat.
- Side stretch: Sit with both feet flat on the floor, take your arms above your head and interlock your fingers, keeping your hips in place stretch your arms up to the ceiling and lean over to one side. Hold the stretch for 30 before you take a deep breath and increase the stretch further. Repeat on the other side.
- Back stretch: Place your hands at the edge of your desk and slowly push your chair backwards away from the desk so your head is between your arms facing the floor , hold for 30 seconds then relax slowly to the starting position and repeat.
Just taking a few minutes a day to complete these stretches may help relieve stress, increase concentration and productivity and generally make you feel a whole lot better!
See Rachel, our Resident Nutritionist and BodyAware Consultant, for more life changing advice and top tips when you are with us!