Green mung bean soup has been used for thousands of years in Grandmothers kitchens all across the Asian continent as a healing medicine. Well renowned for its nourishing and detoxifying effects, Green Mung soup helps to balance all 3 doshas. It helps clear away Aam (toxicity) that gets lodged in the body over time due to poor diet, lack of exercise and living a sedentary lifestyle. This soup is ideal for anyone trying to shed a few pounds or wanting to do a gentle cleanse.
1 cup whole green mung beans (must soak at least 5 hours)
3 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp Ghee
1/2 tsp garlic – chopped & 1/2 tsp ginger-chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 small pinch of hing (asafoetida- available for purchase at the Indian Store)
1 tsp Salt or to taste
1. Soak the mung beans overnight or minimum 3 hours in water.
2. Finely chop ginger and garlic.
3. Drain the mung beans, rinse them and put them in pot with 3 1/2 cups of water.
4. Add salt and turmeric and bring to a boil.
5. Cook Mung beans fully stirring occasionally. (they are not fully cooked until they are breaking apart. Will take approx. 45 min unless you use a pressure cooker in which case it will only take about 20 minutes)
6. Heat ghee in a separate pan. Add hing, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Wait until you hear the cumin seeds pop. Then add garlic and ginger and let simmer for a few minutes until garlic becomes golden brown.
7. Add ghee mixture to cooked mung beans and stir.
8. You can add carrots and greens like kale or spinach to this for some added texture.
9. Enjoy :)