5 Tips to Lose the Holiday Bulge
- Baby Steps. Avoid burnout at the gym by committing yourself to 3 days a week if you haven’t been exercising. Don’t fall victim to the February burnout where you are sick and tired of working out because you committed to training 7 days a week on January 1st. Remember, it’s a marathon and not a sprint.
- Short and Sweet. Keep your workouts around 30-45 min. Focus on intensity rather than the duration of your training. Sure you can workout for 2 hours if you stop and chat to your buddy or post your set of bicep curls on Facebook, but you can save yourself some time and just go all out for 30 minutes and get better results.
- Where’s the Beef? Make sure to include a protein source at each meal. Protein helps you feel fuller longer and can help keep hunger at bay. Even if you’re not a meat eater, ensure a plant based protein source at each meal as well as snacks if you can.
- No Cola and a Smile. Ditch the calorie containing beverages. Sodas, juices, etc. Stick with water and if you need something with flavor add a lemon, lime, or cucumber. You can save yourself a ton of calories with this one simple change.
- Drop the Excuses. I don’t have time to exercise. If I had a dollar for every time I heard this. The fact is we all have 168 hours in our week. We all have the same amount of time to get things done. Some just manage their time better than others. Get up 30 minutes earlier. Problem solved. At the end of the day losing weight takes effort. You have to be willing to roll up your sleeves and get uncomfortable. There are no quick fixes. Again, it’s about a lifestyle change and understanding that you need to be committed for the long haul.