Foods That Fight the Signs of Aging
We hear every day about a cream or treatment that can improve the condition of our skin, but there is little exposure or knowledge on foods that can contribute to healthy, glowing skin. So let’s set the record straight, there is truth in the old saying “you are what you eat!”
- Omega 3 fatty acids found in flaxseed oil, chia seeds, walnuts and salmon reduce redness and inflammation in the skin. Too little omega 3 in the diet may contribute to eczema and psoriasis.
- Zinc also found in salmon, oysters, mushrooms, venison and sunflower seeds is involved in metabolizing testosterone, which effects the production of oily substances responsible for acne. Zinc is also vital in assisting new cell production to give skin a glow!
- Vitamin C found in parsley, broccoli, papaya, bell pepper and citrus fruits aid the body’s production of collagen to tighten skin and prevent wrinkles. Vitamin C’s antioxidant properties fight free radicals that can damage skin cells and cause premature aging.
- Vitamin A acts as an antioxidant preventing cell damage, aging and acne as well as reducing dryness. Good sources include carrots, sweet potato, mangoes and dark leafy greens like spinach and kale.
- Vitamin E found in sunflower seeds, almonds, spinach and swiss chard protect the skin from sun damage, help the skin hold in moisture relieving dryness and keeping it looking younger.
- Vitamin B complex has antioxidant benefits that combat inflammation and assist cells in processing fats to prevent dryness and scaly skin. Good sources include whole grains, buck wheat, avocadoes and mushrooms.