Healthy Tips for Eating Sushi
Sushi is an amazing food option that combines beautiful colors, designs, and patterns. Most sushi options with a combination of seafood, seaweed, rice, and vegetables are very nutritious, high in protein, and low in calories. However, you can still over do it if you’re not careful. So here are a few tips to keep you on the right track.
- Try to avoid the tempura. Tempura is deep fried and battered which is going to have significantly more fat and calories.
- Watch out for extra ingredients. Sometimes rolls will have added mayonnaise and cream cheese, which can again add some significant calories quickly.
- Go with the veggie roll. You can’t go wrong with vegetables. Things like peppers, avocado, cucumber, and carrots. Don’t forget you can always add a bit more flavor with the wasabi and a dash of soy sauce.
- Choose tuna, shrimp, and salmon rolls for a boost in your daily protein intake and a low calorie seafood/fish option.
- Start with a salad or a bowl of miso soup to fill you up before the sushi arrives so that you don’t over eat. As a general guideline, 2 rolls should be a sufficient portion size for each person.
Enjoy your next sushi meal with these few guidelines in place and you’re sure to be eating a healthy and nutritious meal!