Moong Dhal Kichadi
Moong Dhal Kichadi is a perfect one-dish meal. It is prepared with Rice and Moong Lentils and it is considered to be a comfort food in India.
Kichadi is a great food for the Vata Dosha. It is known to help an upset stomach and is able to provide a good level of nourishment.
It is a very popular recipe for those who follow an Ayuvedic Diet and practices or Nature Cure. It is simple and easy to make. Kichadi is also the first solid food that baby is introduced to in some parts of India.
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 cup Moong dhal
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 nos Dry red pepper
- Small piece of grated Ginger
- Salt per taste
- 2 teaspoon of Vegetable oil
- 4 ½ cups of Water
- 2 table spoon of Butter/ghee
- Wash the rice and dhal for several times until you get the water appears clear.
- Add 4 to 5 cups of water and soak them for 30 minutes.
- Then cook them in a pressure cooker with added some turmeric powder, in about 8 to 10 minutes it starts steaming and let it cook 5 to 6 minutes on medium flame.
- If you cook in a pot you may need more water and longer time to cook well.
- In Khichadi Rice and Dhal is generally overcooked and gooey in texture.
- In a small pan heat the oil and add cumin seeds, make the red pepper into pieces and add into it.
- Let it fry and add the cooked rice and dhal, salt to taste.
- Add some butter and mix it well, serve hot.