Scallop & Mahi Mahi Ceviche with Tomato and Avocado Salad and Spicy Tortilla Chips
Mahi Mahi is a wonderful local fish that we frequently prepare. It is quite hearty when cooked and delightfully light when served raw. Here is the recipe for six servings.
For the Scallop & Mahi Mahi Ceviche, you will need:
- 12 very fresh large scallops
- 300g Mahi Mahi
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup oilive oil
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- ¼ tsp salt
and for the Tomato and Avocado Salad…
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp marinade marinade from the ceviche, or to taste
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno or other hot pepper sauce
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 small tortillas
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade, put into a pan and bring to the boil. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Slice the Scallops into three discs and the Mahi Mahi thinly. Place alternately on the plate.
Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Cut the tomato into petals, de-seed and keep. Chop the seeds separately, add a sprinkle of salt, sugar and pepper, and a touch of lime juice.
- Puree the avocado and spread on the plate,
- Serve with spicy tortilla chips.
For the spicy Tortilla Chips
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, combine the oil, hot pepper sauce and lime zest. Brush both sides of the tortillas with the mixture. Stack the tortillas and cut into 8 rounds.
- Arrange the tortillas on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool.